Viruses can be extremely harmful to your business. Should you experience any cyber security issues, you may not regain control of your technology devices and end up considerably out of pocket. Cyber security is rapidly becoming more of a recognized requirement and more businesses are preparing to protect themselves from cyber attacks. If it’s not already, cyber security should be at the top of your list of priorities for 2019.
The threat posed by cyber criminals is hard to keep up with as they are often one step ahead. Outside IT management and consulting companies like Phreedom Technologies can provide the expertise required to significantly reduce the chances of a cyber security attack.
Here are the 15 Alarming cyber security stats and facts from 2018 to illustrate the threat faced:
- Cyber crime damage costs are projected to hit $6 trillion annually by 2021.
- Cyber security spending is forecast to exceed $1 trillion from 2017 to 2021. More developments are focusing on preventing increasing daily cyber attacks on industry.
- MyDoom is considered to be the most expensive virus in the world and in cyber security history, having caused estimated financial damage of $38.5 billion!
- Social media hackers are on the rise. According to in depth statistics, there are currently more than 3 billion active social network users worldwide. Hackers use links on social media disguised as “like” buttons or links to other pages to direct you to download harmful viruses. Attempts are also made to acquire information through social media such as usernames and passwords.
- 43 percent of cyber attacks target small businesses who are particularly vulnerable.
- 99% of computers are vulnerable to exploit kits. Oracle Java, Adobe Reader or Adobe Flash is present on 99% of computers. That means that 99% of computer users are vulnerable to exploit kits (software vulnerabilities).
- Hackers attack every 39 seconds.
- One in three Americans was hacked in the past year.
- 64% of companies have experienced web-based attacks. 62% experienced phishing & social engineering attacks. 59% of companies experienced malicious code and botnets and 51% experienced denial of service attacks.
- The average time to detect a malicious or criminal attack by a global study sample of organizations was 170 days.
- Only 38 percent of global organizations claim they are prepared to handle a sophisticated cyber attack.
- 98% of tested web apps are vulnerable to attack.
- Online banking fraud increases 48% year-on-year.
- The percentage of malware payloads that were ransomware dropped from over 70% in June 2017 to less than 5% in December 2017.
- 69% of organizations don’t believe their antivirus can stop the threats they’re seeing.
The security stats and facts may be alarming, but it’s even more alarming that some business owners still don’t recognize the seriousness of cyber attacks and aren’t prepared for them. The longer you wait, the longer you will be at risk of a cyber attack.
Phreedom Technologies’ IT Security support can prepare you for any eventualities. We specialize in building a security foundation tailored to suit your business needs. Don’t compromise your data and your business. Search online for qualified support or visit us to start a conversation.